Saturday, September 14, 2013

What I've learned thus far


Well, there have been four weeks of classes, and I can honestly say I feel I’ve learned a lot in those four weeks. My classes this semester have been unlike any previous semesters. I’ve had no tests so far, and my knowledge hasn’t been measured periodically by multiple choice questions in quizzes either.

Instead, I’ve been working hands on, such as in my Radio/TV Newswriting class, where my professor had us start writing and working with the camera in the first couple of weeks. In my Rhetorical Traditions class, I’ve engaged in deeper and more thought-provoking discussions than I thought was mentally possible for myself all the while learning much about Greek philosophy. I’ve expanded my spirituality in my Buddhism class by practicing meditation techniques and reading writings by monks such as Thich Nhat Hanh. I’ve learned how to utilize Excel for reporting techniques, which is great because I’m normally incompetent when it comes to things on the computer.

Most importantly, however, I’m learning the value of humor in my Literature and Civilizations class. But really, humor is universal, and it’s interesting to learn about how it differs in cultures around the world. I can’t say I’m absorbing the readings from Comic Relief very easily, but when it’s discussed in class, I’m able to understand Morreall’s theories a little better.

The start of the semester has been very promising. I’ve been promised a lot of work (mainly reading and writing), but I’ve also been promised a great educational experience. After all, if I’m taking seven different classes, I’d hope I can learn something!

No comments:

Post a Comment