Saturday, November 16, 2013

A sum of this semester


To sum up the semester as it comes to a close, I’ve learned a lot. Probably more than I’ve learned any previous semesters at TCU.

I’ve always been told that I’m only “book smart” and lack any form of common sense. But I learned this semester that this is not the case. I thought since I excelled in my classes at school and made ‘A’s’ that meant I was only “book smart.” But TCU has taught me that excelling in classes means so much more.

My classes this semester have all been extremely different, yet valuable in their own way. But mostly every class challenged me to open my mind and expand my thoughts beyond the books I read or the lectures I listen to.  School shouldn’t be about grades, but about increasing my capacity to learn.

Notably, Literature and Civilizations, Rhetorical Traditions and Buddhism have all centered on class discussions with no right or wrong answer. There should be no right or wrong answer in classes such as these. It’s not math.  There is no formula to learning. Every person interprets what they read or hear in different ways, and that’s what makes “book smart” irrelevant.

Working for the literary magazine, eleven40seven, has also provided me with new insight as to how the production process works. I believe there is no need to take a class with a really long intellectual title and subject in order to learn something. I can learn anything anywhere as long as I stay open-minded. By working on the magazine, for example, I’ve learned how different each person can be when it comes to art. Every writing style is different and each painting or photograph is seen through different eyes in a different light. This is a creative learning in which you learn not by books, but by experience and exposure.

My intelligence should not be measured based on a number in someone’s grade book, but by the thoughts and ideas floating around in my head. It should be based on the writings I produce and the questions I pose. There will always be much more to learn no matter how smart someone has defined me. I think as long as I am always aware of the potential knowledge waiting to be grasped, I can’t be boxed in by the term “book smart.” Knowledge isn’t handed out by books, but by the willingness of the mind to receive the knowledge and expand upon it.

I’ve learned to define myself as not simply “book smart,” but as educated and curious, colored with a desire to push my mind beyond the limits of textbooks and classic fiction into a world of my own philosophy shaped by my thoughts and opinions.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this post Molly! You brought up a lot of interesting points. I love that you're choosing to define yourself as "educated and curious" rather than measuring your intellect some other way. Learning is a life long process. You always continue to learn, even after graduation. It's important to keep that in mind as the pressure amounts to receive good grades and prove yourself to others that you are intelligent. Everyone learns in a different way and some excel in some subjects but not others. It just depends on your level of interest in a subject! That's why I think it's impossible to compare the intelligence of different people. Every major has its challenges and one shouldn't be thought of as more difficult than another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can really relate to this post! I have always been told that I am solely "book smart" and lack common sense. I agree that classes like Literature & Civilizations challenge students to look beyond the text and literal meanings and search for what may lie beneath. Throughout college I think I have proved time and time again that I am more than just "book smart". Even situations outside of the classroom challenge us to critically think and cooperate with others. These are skills that will stay with us no matter what our profession is after we graduate. Learning is a dynamic process that can't be limited to what we learn in text books or by listening to lectures. It requires active participation and like most things in life, you get out of it what you put into it.

    ReplyDelete