Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Ory part 4: Cars, Books and Hunting


It had been a month since Ory and I talked last. It was a mixture of fall break, his birthday, school work and conflicting schedules. But we were finally able to meet, albeit in the library surrounded by homework.

Our conversation was very sporadic, but smooth. Somehow I managed to carry on many conversations featuring subjects I knew virtually nothing about – Cars, racing and hunting. Needless to say, Ory kept up most of the conversation until we started talking about books.

After three meetings, I felt that I knew Ory really well, but once again I learned new things about him. One: he loves racing (watching or driving) and cars. His brother actually races for fun. Two: he enjoys hunting. He went over fall break, but didn’t actually shoot anything. Three: he loves reading non-fiction books.

Never having been interested in cars or racing, and never having hunted and shot any “Bambi’s” (as Ory so delicate put it), I wasn’t much of a participant in these conversations. However, being an avid reader, I jumped on the chance to talk about books.

I am more of a fiction reader myself, but Ory spoke so passionately about non-fiction, true stories, that I mentally added some new books to my reading list. Ory said he loves reading true stories because “we’re all human.” It reminds him that no matter who you are, a billionaire, an Olympic athlete or a neurosurgeon, we’re all human. He said the only thing that differs is how we think. He said he is inspired to work harder when he reads books about people starting with nothing and working their way up to the top. Or when he reads about millionaires who sell all of their property and donate all of their money to charity. He made such valid points that I could only nod my head in agreement and listen in rapture as he went on about how humans are similar, yet different.

Ory and I only have two more meetings left, but I hope we are able to fit these into our busy schedules as finals approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment