Monday, December 2, 2013

Ory part 5: Traveling and football

         
             Ory and I met once more before Thanksgiving break. Like before, this meeting was done under stressful circumstances since we both are overloaded with school work. Ory and I are both dealing with papers, presentations and projects, but at least we were sympathetic to each other’s stresses.

                Ory said he is really excited to experience his first American Thanksgiving. He has some family in Houston, so he is planning on traveling to Houston for some food and to give thanks.

                Traveling has become a familiar topic of discussion between Ory and I. Somehow or another, our conversations always end up in a different state or country. This time we talked about New York, Australia, and Belgium. Ory is going to Belgium over the summer.

I told Ory all about my ambitious plan after I graduate next year. I am going to travel to Europe, but I also am going to move to New York and live there. Even if it is only for a summer internship, I want to live in the city for a time. I know it is expensive and far-fetched, but since a lot of big journalism and book publishing companies are based in New York City, this is a goal I plan to keep. I have only been to New York once, but I fell in love immediately. New York is the only place I’ve visited that Ory hasn’t. Ory said he desperately wants to visit New York, so I was a little pleased with myself until he reminded me that he had visited eight other countries in Europe that I desperately wanted to visit.

                Though neither of us has been to Australia, I had a friend visit from the land down under. Ory and I talked about how he perceived America and Americans compared to how Ory views American customs. For example, I took my Australian friend to a football game because he wanted to see an American football game. While Dan (the Australian) got really into the game and was shouting and screaming like a true American football fan, Ory says he never makes it to actual American football games because he loves the tailgating too much.

                Ory and I have only one last meeting before the conversations and the semester come to a close. I’ve enjoyed learning a lot from him and about him, and he said (though hopefully he isn’t lying) that he enjoys talking with me too.
 

1 comment:

  1. Molly, Ory sounds like a great conversation partner to have. If Ory is more travelled than you are then he is definitely more travelled than me. I have never been outside of the United States, but like you, I plan to travel abroad to Europe this next summer and I am extremely excited. I also LOVE New York City and I visit there many times. My friend and I always joke about picking up everything and moving to New York after we graduate college. However, these things are easier said than done. Your comment on Ory's view of tailgating made me laugh. It sounds like you two have had some great conversations and have learned a lot about one another's culture.

    ReplyDelete